Wednesday, June 26, 2013

22nd Birthday

MY 22nd BIRTHDAY IN GHANA



Having my birthday abroad has never been more interesting! I woke up to a door full of balloons and sticky notes from my roommate and floor mates. Went to class and could not focus at all because I have never had to use my brain on my birthday in a school sense. 

Than went to African Dance class and was surprised what came halfway through. The tradition here is to dumb loads of water on the birthday person to symbolize rebirth and leaving all your troubles in the past. So I got dumped in water from all the students I am taking the class with and the teachers. After being dumped in water I got sprayed with soda and than dumped again in water. The whole experience was one to remember thats for sure and I will never forget my 22nd birthday because of it. 

After dance I had to play drums while water was dripping down my neck and a large puddle built around me as the water drained from my clothes. After class was over, we walked back to the Tro Tro station to take one back to the hostel. Got ready for the night and went to a dinner place down the street at DNR. This restaurant has turned into our favorite place to go and get great Turkish food. We went to a Karaoke bar to start off the night and sang a few songs and than headed to a few bars and called it a night. The night life here is great but they stay out till early morning. The bars don't even close till 5-6 a.m. which is insane in my book. 

Overall my birthday was a great time and I had a blast with everyone! I have now had my birthday on 3 continents which is pretty cool! 

No comments:

Post a Comment